Monday, July 13, 2009

Potty-training diaries and other musings


Bathing beauty. Neiv has been very sweet (for Neiv) the last few days while I have been pulling my hair out with Abra. Probably because I just end up holding her more (translation: no laundry, cleaning, cooking etc. is getting done). She is sleeping really well at night and even took a 2 hr nap the other day. She is a more cuddly baby believe it or not, compared to Abra. She will give us real hugs/kisses and her little face just lights up when we get her up from a nap or come rescue her from the strangers in the nursery.

I was so proud of myself for taking step #1 in making Neiv's baby food instead of paying $1 a pop for the gerber sets. I steamed up a bag of frozen peas then pureed them down to a nice consistency and put them in little freezer friendly containers for future use. I then fed some to Neiv who thought they were gross but I figured she'd get used to them - she has to - I have alot of pureed peas now. Unfortunately a couple hours after I gave her the peas she started having an upset tummy which turned into the worst diaper rash I have ever seen. This led to lots of screaming last night and this morning when I tried to change her or put cream on it.

So much for my nice little frozen pea containers. Of course she had no reaction to the gerber peas. Foiled again.





Abra is having a hard time with the potty. It took one entire day (friday) just to get her to not cry when she sat on it. But she can hold her pee for long periods until she is not on the potty so I know she is ready - it is just a matter of it all coming together. We are making baby steps in the right direction. This is day 4 of staying in the kitchen all day not to mention that Alan had to work all weekend. If I make it through this with my sanity, it will not be on my own strength, that is for sure. The weather forecast for the next 3 days is 104, 102, and 101. I guess staying in the AC isn't all that bad.

The picture was a cute moment yesterday though. I made her a grilled cheese for dinner and she took little bites out of it in a sloping direction from one side then held it up and said "look Mommy, a dinosaur!!" So I told her to hold the dinosaur up for me to take a picture. It is so funny to see where their little imagination takes them.

2 comments:

Shannon and Andrew said...

Too bad about the peas. Owen actually has a new trick with peas too. He willingly eats them then immediately throws them back up. Fun times ;) Good luck with the potty training!

Carole said...

Ah, the joys of food reactions. Rose has a killer diaper rash right now too from who knows where. Makes you wonder about those Gerber peas though?!?