Monday, July 13, 2009

Potty accomplishments!

I have to update since I have had an exciting day (except for Neiv and that awful diaper rash which led to 1.5 hrs of crying tonight - I guess you could consider that exciting though). Abra has really turned a corner with the potty. A friend told me to make her be naked since the theory is that they won't want to pee into thin air - unlike having panties on and knowing the pee will be soaked up. So this morning she got up and I said "you wet all your panties so we are going to have to be nakey" (Abra-ism). The funny thing was that she felt so uncomfortable naked that she would ONLY sit on the potty. For hours. So lots of pee went into the potty with plenty of praise and treats. She hardly even ate she was so nervous about being up from the potty. So at lunchtime she finally started sitting at the table to eat and getting down every few minutes to sit on the potty. This ended with her peeing which was the first breakthrough since she got off the potty then sat back down willingly when she felt that she needed to. Awhile later I coaxed her into joining me on the kitchen floor about 15 feet away from the potty and building blocks. We played for about 10 minutes when suddenly, very calmly, she got up, said she had to pee, and went and sat on the potty - and peed within 30 seconds! I was shocked. After that she got up and down with a bit more confidence and went back to the potty to pee 5 or 6 times. Poop did end up in her pull-up after nap but I think that will come soon enough. I am just soooo glad there is no more hysterical crying and she seems really excited about her new ability.

4 comments:

Ramona said...

yay! :) i'm glad that it went well yesterday!

Shannon and Andrew said...

Hooray for Abra!

Nora's Grand Adventure said...

YAAAAAY!!! she's getting to be such a big girl...

silly eagle books said...

this inspires me. i have next week set as the week to begin potty training with juliet. maybe i will try the "nakey" thing too.